Pinner Wheelbarrow Race – 19th April
Saturday, 11th April 2015
Jon Hart and Biba Hunjan from Radio Harrow take part in the wheelbarrow race of 2014
The final preparations are underway for the annual St George’s Day celebrations and wheelbarrow race, being held on 19th April. Pinner will be packed with people from across the borough on Sunday, gathering to join the fun-packed celebrations. There will be live entertainment, fancy dress, food, stalls, games – not forgetting the traditional wheelbarrow race, in which teams of two competitors race through the streets, making pit stops at pubs.
Radio Harrow will be covering the live on event as we launch our new radio station! The event starts at 1pm and the wheelbarrow race at 3pm. Motorists are strongly advised not to park in Pinner High Street from noon as it will be closed from 12.30pm to 4.30pm. Revellers are advised to walk, or use public car parks in Chapel Lane, Love Lane and Waxwell Lane, which are free on Sundays.
- 12.00 pm – Start of the St. George’s Day Celebrations in Pinner High Street with Games, Rides, Food, Beer Festival, Stalls & Events & More.
- 12.30 pm – Bell ringing at the 1321 Parish Church
- 1 .00pm – Arrival of The Mayor of Harrow — Parade with Scouts & Police Cadets led by St George mounted on his horse. Followed by Scouts’ reaffirmation ceremony.
- 1.20 pm – Sing and dance to well known English songs sung live by Classical vocalist Gemma Turner
- 2 .00pm – Morris dancing from the Merrydowners (in the High Street) AND Punch & Judy on Church Farm Green (opposite the Church)
- 2.30 pm – Sing and dance to well known English songs sung live by Classical vocalist Gemma Turner
- 3 .00pm – Ye Olde Wheelbarrow Race Starts at 3:00 at Little Common (just up from Pinner Police Station) then down through Bridge St, and up the High Street to end at Church Farm Green at the top of Pinner High Street. With commentary by Radio Harrow
- 3.30 pm – Morris dancing from the Merrydowners (in the High Street) AND Punch & Judy on Church Farm Green (opposite the Church)
- 4 .00pm – “Ye Newe” Wheelbarrow Joust ! A bit of fun that anyone can join in! (Wheelbarrows provided!) Prize giving by the President of Pinner Rotary..
- 4.30 pm – Close
We look forward to seeing everyone there!